Jacksonville Family Law Attorney
Seasoned Family Law Attorney with over Two Decades of Experience

Parental Relocation with Children

Counsel for Cases Involving Parental Relocation in Florida

Child custody or time-sharing arrangements can be complicated and emotional. Once agreements are in place, a long-distance move has the potential to cause problems. Under Florida law, a parent who shares custody or visitation of a child and wishes to relocate outside of a 50-mile radius cannot do so without following proper procedure. At the Law Office of Stephanie Gurrola PLLC, we are knowledgeable about the factors the court will consider in determining whether to grant a parental relocation.

Whether you are trying to move with your child or attempting to prevent the other parent from doing so, our Jacksonville and Orange Park child custody attorney can help. We have the resources and experience to best position you to meet the statutory criteria necessary to obtain the approval of the court for a desired relocation. Alternately, we can help you to find the areas where the parent seeking relocation has not (or cannot) satisfy the statutory burden of proof.

The Law Office of Stephanie Gurrola PLLC has the experience to help you. Contact us at (904) 674-3177 today.

Preparing to Relocate with Your Child

In order to relocate, the parent wishing to move must come to an agreement with the other parent and file a written and signed contract with the court. In this scenario, no formal hearing is required.

Both parents must put forth in writing: ​​​​​​

  • Agreement to the move
  • Scheduled time-sharing for the parent who stays
  • Transportation arrangements for visitation

If the non-relocating parent objects to the move, the relocating parent can file a petition with the court.

The petition must include: 

  • Address and phone number of the new residence
  • When the relocation would take effect
  • Detailed reason for change of residence
  • Proposed visitation schedule following move
  • Suggested transportation arrangements for visitation

The court will serve the petition to non-relocating parent, who then has 20 days to file a response that details any objections. If a response is not filed within 20 days, the court can give permission for the relocation without a hearing. Otherwise, a hearing will be held to decide whether or not the move is in the child’s best interests.

The court will take into account a number of factors when making a decision, including the child’s relationship with each parent, impact on the child’s development, the parent’s reason for relocation, the non-relocating parent’s objections, and more. A knowledgeable and experienced Orange Park family lawyer can help ensure you’ve put forth your very best case. Contact the Law Office of Stephanie Gurrola PLLC for an advocate who will be on your side every step of the way.

Call (904) 674-3177 now for skilled legal counsel in child custody and relocation cases.

Client Testimonials

  • “Fantastic!”

    Tammy (reviewed from Avvo)

  • “I have 100% confidence in them and looking out for my best interest.”

    Heather P. (reviewed from Google)

  • “We are so pleased with her expertise and the way she handled our case and WON!!!”


  • “Willing to work with clients. Office Staff cares about what is right.”

    Robert H. (reviewed from Google)

  • “I Hired the Best”


  • “Hands down the BEST!!”

    Danielle (reviewed from Avvo)

  • “She fought mightily for my girls to remain with me (their father) and provided me with great legal advice throughout the years of turmoil.”

    Margaret M. (reviewed from Google)

  • “Extremely Efficient Lawyer!”


  • “Extremely Efficient Lawyer!”

    Anonymous (reviewed on Avvo)

  • “Stephanie and her staff are professional, prompt, straightforward, and easy to work with.”

    Lewis P. (reviewed from Google)

  • “I'm very thankful for them being honest with me.”

    Lacy B. (reviewed from Google)

  • “Honest and very trust worthy”

    Mikayla (reviewed from Avvo)

  • “Great Divorce Lawyer!!!!”


  • “Best Attorney Ever”

    Anonymous (reviewed on Avvo)